Wisterm is an international provider of professional consulting services. We have a vacancy for an attorney in our London office, to support our professional consulting team.
We have a vacancy for a qualified attorney within our high performing and ambitious UK team. You can expect interesting and varied challenges in this role. A successful candidate will be naturally curious, intelligent, and energetic. As part of our growing UK team, you will help shape the innovative culture that makes Wisterm such a great place to work.
The principal role is to become a member of and provide support to your team members by understanding Wisterm’s business model and legal framework and by delivering sound legal counsel in support of our core business strategies.
The Corporate Legal Counsel and Deputy Privacy Officer is responsible for the development and maintenance of the team’s legal, compliance, and data privacy practices. In addition to accurately and efficiently developing these practices, you will also train team members and vendors with respect to these practices.
The Corporate Legal Counsel and Deputy Privacy Officer also provides direction and assistance to team members for placement of business with awareness of legal and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain a working knowledge of team’s products, services, policies, and processes.
- Advise, draft, and negotiate various contracts, such as: engagement agreements, consulting services agreements, reinsurance agreements, business associate agreements, data processing agreements, administrative services agreements, program management agreements, managed services provider and other outsourcing agreements, and technology and software licensing agreements.
- Advise on and draft insurance policy language.
- Advise on tenders and RFP responses.
- Advise, draft, and negotiate contracts with suppliers.
- Act as legal lead on firm-wide projects.
- Develop, implement, and maintain legal and compliance policies, procedures, and workflows.
- Develop, implement, and maintain legal and compliance audit processes to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Assist with team development, including but not limited to: train new staff when on-boarding; occasionally participate in case assignments, workflow management, and escalated tickets; develop team standards and processes; develop and deliver ongoing team training; maintain legal, regulatory and compliance knowledge and skill sets to act as a resource for the team; act as a mentor for other team members; occasionally participate in interviewing prospective team members; and participate in the peer review process.
- Act as a resource for marketing, sales, and other teams in order to develop and implement strategic plans and solutions.
- Attend occasional client meetings pertaining to project deliverables.
- Maintain knowledge and ability to perform all job functions of those supervised and be able to provide backup when necessary.
- Maintain positive relationships with appropriate stakeholders through regular contact and effective communication.
- Keep informed regarding regulatory, data privacy, compliance, and company information.
- Act as stakeholder with respect to procurement, including vetting, negotiations, and contract review and approvals.
- Regularly draft, review and approve content in support of our online content strategy and marketing plan.
- Performs other functions as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
A high level of legal, regulatory, and compliance knowledge, organisational skills, and excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. To qualify for this role, you must have:
- A minimum of 5 or more years of post-qualification experience.
- Significant experience gained through a reputable law firm or as in-house counsel.
- Ability to provide practical legal advice and support with a high degree of professionalism in a fast-paced environment and to establish a high degree of credibility, respect, and trust.
- Proven ability to establish a high degree of credibility, respect, and trust at all levels, including with internal and external stakeholders, some of whom have a considerable understanding of various laws, regulations, and/or compliance related matters.
- Ability to lead, provide a view, take responsibility and ownership of issues, including an ability to take difficult decisions and provide substantiated arguments.
- Significant experience with drafting and negotiating agreements for financial, administrative, and management-related services, including employee benefits, insurance, reinsurance, project management, program management, and a good understanding of the needs of the financial services sector.
- Strong team player with excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- A calm demeanor and the ability to cope well with conflicting and changing deadlines.
- Good knowledge of intellectual property laws and the protection of intellectual property.
- General experience gained in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial contract.
- Demonstrable experience in leadership in multi-disciplinary teams and unfamiliar environments.
- Strong interpersonal skills in writing, presenting, and influencing decision making.
- Fluent (oral and written) in English.
- Working understanding of Microsoft 365 (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Well-articulated interest and vision of legal trends, insurance and employee benefit market developments, and regulatory changes in the financial services industry and how this impacts our clients.
- An affinity towards content creation, including drafting blog posts, whitepapers, and articles.
Candidate must satisfactorily complete pre-hire employment assessments and maintain a satisfactory driving record. Candidate may be asked to submit to a drug and/or alcohol screening. A civil and criminal history background check will be performed at the company’s expense. Physical attendance is required at regular and/or mandatory company meetings. Employees are encouraged to pursue relevant professional designations; however, this is not required.
Working at Wisterm
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our compensation package includes support for flexible working and career development. Additional benefits include private medical, life assurance, critical illness, travel and accident, income protection, mobile phone reimbursement, and others.
At Wisterm, your competencies and your areas of interest will determine your future, plus we offer you:
- Continuous learning: You’ll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact.
- Leadership: We’ll give you the insights, coaching. and confidence to be a leader.
Wisterm has a fast-paced multitasking office environment. Employees are provided a dedicated workstation with basic ergonomic setup features, such as an ergonomic keyboard and mouse, dual monitors, and an adjustable chair. Workstation accommodations and adjustments are provided upon request and evaluation.
This position requires a high-energy level and ability to handle stress-related situations on a daily basis. The employee may be required to drive and travel unaccompanied in diverse weather conditions.
This employer complies with applicable federal, state, and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
As an award-winning consulting and insurance management firm, we understand how complex insurance programs can be. That’s why we built our team of the best strategists, actuaries, brokers, and underwriters in the market. We solve some of the most challenging problems in risk management and employee benefits today. From launching new disruptive cost containment services to help placing difficult cover, we’ve proven time and again that we know what it takes to build a successful insurance program.
Our consulting and broking capabilities encompass healthcare, property, casualty, life, retirement, and employee benefits. The firm services the full spectrum of business, government, union, education, and nonprofit organisations. Founded in 2014, Wisterm has offices throughout North America and Europe.
We are independently owned and managed by our partners, who are distinguished by their technical and business acumen, and by their achievements in their respective fields. Our team includes actuaries, attorneys, brokers, economists, engineers, underwriters, and benefits experts.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organization and the overall business objectives of the organization.